Sterbeort: London
Ehemalige Bands: Flash, Badger

JJG
Ehren-Admin

Re: Peter Banks verstorben

Beitrag von JJG »

Letzter Beitrag der vorhergehenden Seite:

Remembering Peter Banks:

Oliver Wakeman hat geschrieben:I thought that I would start with a few thoughts about Peter. For those of you who aren't aware of Peter and his work, Peter was the original guitarist with Yes back in the late 60's and worked on their first two albums. I enjoyed performing Astral Traveler when I was in Yes and it was great fun to play on a track that was linked to this early incarnation of the band.

However, Peter and I did work together on a couple of my albums back in 1999 and 2001. My first rock record 'Jabberwocky' (a collaboration with Clive Nolan) featured Peter heavily as the main lead guitarist and he came up with some amazing parts.

He worked in a slightly unusual way in so much that he was a great improviser and never played the same part twice - he'd give you lots of great solos in their entirety to chose parts from. He also had a wonderfully jazzy style which was best represented on the Jabberwocky album with his great solo in Coming to Town. I'd originally written the jazzy chords with the idea of having a sax solo (in fact the original demos have me doing a sax solo on a keyboard) but when Peter put his jazz solo down, all thoughts of a sax solo were soon forgotten.

The record came out whilst I was working on my next album 'The 3 Ages of Magick' which featured Steve Howe. I played Steve some of the album and he was genuinely impressed with the guitar work he heard - 'Is that really Peter..?' I remember hearing him say in his studio in Devon during one of our arrangement sessions.

Peter & I got together again for the followup to Jabberwocky, 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' and again Peter came up with some great - completely unique - guitar lines. His solo on my track 'By Your Side' is particularly gorgeous and completely unexpected in construction and approach.

Peter and I kept in touch for a while afterwards but as is often the way, paths take different directions and I hadn't been in contact for a few years. But I am proud to have met Peter and I'm even more proud that I have some of his performances on 2 of my albums. RIP Peter Banks, thanks for the music.

About the photo…
It's quite an unusual and rare photo of myself with Steve Hackett, Peter and Martin Hudson (then the editor of the magazine)! It was taken at the Classic Rock Society awards night in November 1999. If I remember correctly Steve and Pete then jammed together on stage at the end of the night.

Oliver Wakeman
Bild
"We are truth made in heaven, we are glorious" (Anderson/Stolt 2016)

Saaldorf

colonyslipperman

Beitrag von colonyslipperman »

...am Wochenende habe ich mir nach vielen Jahren mal
wieder die TWO SIDES OF PETER BANKS als LP angehört.
Traurig, ja, das erst dieser Anlaß mich dazu bewegt hat,
dies mal wieder zu tun.
Tolle Scheibe übrigens!
Frage: weiß jemand von Euch, ob es dieses tolle Werk auch
als Japan Pressung (die LP nicht CD) gibt, und wenn ja, wären
Deatils (Label, Bestellnummer) sehr hilfreich!
Danke schon mal!
:)

SOON
Website-Betreiber

Beitrag von SOON »

colonyslipperman hat geschrieben: Frage: weiß jemand von Euch, ob es dieses tolle Werk auch
als Japan Pressung (die LP nicht CD) gibt, und wenn ja, wären
Deatils (Label, Bestellnummer) sehr hilfreich!
Danke schon mal!
auf der wohl vollständigsten Datenbank über Lp-Releases ist keine Japan-Pressung verzeichnet:
http://www.discogs.com/Peter-Banks-Pete ... ter/185275

Auf Popsike findet sich auch nichts auf die Schnelle:
http://www.popsike.com

Im LP-Discographien Katalog von Rock und Pop sind nur die UK und US ( Sovereign) Veröffentlichungen eingetragen.

Es darf vermutet werden, dass es kein Japan-Release dieser LP gab.
MAKE PROG NOT WAR ! ---> ---> My 2024 Album Faves

colonyslipperman

Beitrag von colonyslipperman »

SOON hat geschrieben:Es darf vermutet werden, dass es kein Japan-Release dieser LP gab.
...danke für die schnelle Antwort, leider dann wohl: nein :roll:
habe alle drei FLASH LPs als Vinyl aus Japan, deswegen der
Gedanke an TWO SIDES aus Japan...

jomo

Beitrag von jomo »

‘The fans have been great’:
Original Yes guitarist Peter Banks’ remains finally set to be released
by Nick DeRiso

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/03 ... -released/

Der Teemeister
Keymember

Beitrag von Der Teemeister »

Meine Peter-Banks-Tonträger auf CD:

FLASH - FLASH (Japan-CD ohne Bonus-Tracks + digitalisiertes und entknacktes Vinyl)
FLASH - IN THE CAN (Japan-CD ohne Bonus-Tracks + digitalisiertes und entknacktes Vinyl)
FLASH - OUT OF OUR HANDS (Japan-CD ohne Bonus-Tracks + digitalisiertes und entknacktes Vinyl)
EMPIRE - MARK II
THE TWO SIDES OF PETER BANKS
INSTINCT

jomo

Beitrag von jomo »

http://podcast.radionz.co.nz/aft/aft-20 ... es-048.mp3

Here´s an interview with Jon where he speaks about Peter.. from a day or so a go.

john

JJG
Ehren-Admin

Beitrag von JJG »

[youtube]MIdCMiGoQAo[/youtube]

Saaldorf

Topographic
Keymember

Beitrag von Topographic »

Leider konnte ich Peter Banks nie live sehen.
Mit CTTE und den YESSongs war ich zu spät ins YES-Werk eingestiegen. Als ich mir die ersten beiden Alben holte, hat mich – obwohl von Steve Howe begeistert – Banks Gitarrenspiel ziemlich elektrisiert.

Bei der UNION-Tour fand ich seine Abwesenheit sehr schade. Als er 2010 mit Ambrosia auf Tour gehen wollte, um Songs der ersten beiden YES-Alben zu spielen, hatte ich die Hoffnung, dass Banks wieder mehr ins Musikgeschehen zurückkommen würde. Ich hatte mir die USA-Reise auch schon grob vorgeplant, um diese Gelegenheit nicht zu versäumen. Als er diese Tour dann krankheitsbedingt absagte, gab es verschiedene Gerüchte, u.a. sprach YES-Biograf Chris Welch von einer Krebserkrankung. Offiziell hatte er sich eine Sepsis eingehandelt.

Immerhin, Billy Sherwood holte ihn sporadisch für seine Tribute- und Collective – Projekte zurück - und Peter Banks klingt darauf großartig. Ich mag sein einzigartiges Gitarrenspiel.
Seine letzten Arbeiten werden wir auf Sherwoods Steve Miller-Tribute und dem ProgCollective 2 sowie auf dem Album „ In Extremis“ von „Days Between Stations“ (produziert von Sherwood) hören – alle sollen 2013 erscheinen.
Ich hoffe, dass auch das Flesh-Livealbum „In Public“ von 1973, an dessen Produktion er gerade arbeitete, noch veröffentlicht wird.

Ob von Peter Banks noch mehr in den Archiven liegt? Aus seiner Zusammenarbeit mit Jon Anderson 2011 und früher gibt es wohl nichts Hörbares. Vielleicht aber die seit Jahren versprochene Live-CD mit „Harmony In Diversity“ – immerhin gibt es da einiges auf Youtube. Peter Banks war im Laufe seines Musikerlebens mit einigen „Progrockern“, auch aus dem YESUmfeld, zu Gastspielen im Studio. Vielleicht gibt es da noch die eine oder andere schlummernde Perle.

Dass mit Peter Banks nun der erste YESMusiker gestorben ist, bedeutet für mich einen weiteren Schritt des Einlassens auf das bevorstehende Ende meiner großen Musikliebe. Der Nostalgiker in mir ruft HSW in Gedanken, aber eindringlich zu, eine Reunion mit Jon Anderson und Rick Wakeman nicht immer noch weiter hinauszuschieben; man sieht ja, was passieren kann…

[youtube]zHDzt-EFmWg[/youtube]

Fragile
Alumni-Admin

Beitrag von Fragile »

Hier auch nochmal ein ausführlicherer Artikel, u.a. auch mit Nachrufen von Billy Sherwood und Steve Hackett:

http://psychosync.info/flash/r-i-p-pete ... 1947-2013/
He's seen too much of life,
and there's no going back...

JJG
Ehren-Admin

Beitrag von JJG »

http://somethingelsereviews.com hat geschrieben:“ASTRAL TRAVELLER,” TIME AND WORD (1970): When Banks passed away on March 7, 2013, he left behind a criminally underappreciated legacy in music — as a solo artist, a member of Flash and Empire and, maybe most surprising, as the original guitarist in Yes. Many fans remain unfamiliar with the band’s pre-Steve Howe era, even today, and “Astral Traveller” is a terrific place to start that process of discovery. The track sets a template for much of what the band would become, right down to its forward-thinking title, and also includes one of Banks’ most completely realized solos with Yes. He and Anderson famously clashed over the use of orchestration on this album, and Banks was summarily fired, but those bad feelings were long gone by the time of the guitarist’s death at just 65. Anderson released an official statement, recalling their time together in the band’s upstart early days …

JON ANDERSON: We played a show with the Who at the Marquee club in London early 1969. Peter talked about going on stage and smashing his guitar at the end of our set like Pete Townsend. He loved Pete, as we all did. I told him: “But you only have one guitar Peter. Pete Townsend has lots of ‘em! Why not get a plastic guitar and smash that?” Of course, Peter found a dinky pink plastic guitar, and at the end of our set, he started smashing the little guitar to bits — and it wouldn’t smash right away, but he kept on bashing until it broke into tiny bits. It was one of the funniest moments of my life. Good old Peter. Bless him.

Saaldorf
Antworten

Zurück zu „Peter Banks (†)“