Ehemalige Bands: Tomorrow, Bodast, GTR

Antworten

Topic author
Member X
Keymaster

Interview with Steve Howe 22. März 2011

Beitrag von Member X »

Yes at the Louisville Palace: An interview with Steve Howe, part one [Music]
Submitted by Chris Whigham on March 22, 2011 - 11:11am.
Von:
http://www.louisville.com/content/yes-l ... -one-music
und
http://www.louisville.com/content/yes-l ... -two-music

Das Interview betrifft die laufende Tour, das kommende Album, Steve's Solo-Aktivitäten und Persönliches, weshalb ich es nicht zu einem der Themen hinzufügte, sondern einen eigenen Thread eröffnete.:

I'm not a music writer for Louisville.com. My "cool" factor is usually pretty low for the folks I know. I'm what most would call "old school" in my tastes. Not "Beastie Boys" old school...I'm talking Genesis, Kansas and Boston old school. If a band didn't have album that involved placing an arm with a needle on it to make it play, then I probably don't know who they are.

So when I heard that Yes, my favorite band, was coming back to the Louisville Palace this Saturday, March 26, and that I could land an interview with their legendary guitarist Steve Howe, I could not pass up the opportunity.

Howe began playing with Yes in 1970, and has been a fixture on most of their albums throughout the years. He broke away for a while in the 80's to start Asia ("The Heat Of The Moment"), GTR, and Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe. He's collaborated with Lou Reed, Queen and the Bee Gees. And he has had a solo career that is unequalled.

We talked about the upcoming show, his relationship with the band, and some personal reflections. Here's Part One of my interview with Steve Howe:

CW: What can fans expect from this show?

SH: It's a kind of wrap up of the last few years. There were some titles we were doing early on in Reformation in 2008 that we haven't been playing so much. So we kind of tilted the set around to keep it fresh until we come in the Summer, of course, when we'll be playing our new music from the new album. But at the moment, we're not quite ready to do that, so it's kind of a wrap-up of the era.

CW: What can we look forward to from the new album in regards to type of music?

SH: It's a hard thing to describe…I'm really not prepared to describe it, really. It is something we're going to be really proud of, something we'll like very much. It's produced by Trevor Horn, so it has a definite sound and stylistic approach which I think Yes fans will enjoy, and we'll benefit from, because we attempted some records over the last 15 years, and I wouldn't say they're on my hot list very often! This will have very solid material and collaborations, and also solo opportunities. It's a nice collective of an all round great Yes album…I hope.

CW: How has your relationship with Chris Squire and Alan White changed over the years?

SH: (Laughs) With all long term relationships, they fluctuate, and this is part of the strength. You can look at it like a weakness, but it's a strength. We don't quiver when we have a problem; we have a problem, and then we get over it, and then find that we're much better for it. The real upside of these long term relationships is that you can weather storms, and come out of it feeling stronger, and I think that's what Alan, Chris and I have been doing over the years.

CW: Yes has yet to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. How does Yes, How does Steve Howe, feel about that?

SH: I don't care. There's so many other marvelous performers that haven't been inducted. They don't particularly surprise me. I think it means a lot to our fans, and to a lot of people who care about music generally. But much like the Oscars, and the Grammies, there's so much of that, and I don't know what it means. I think it's more important to us to have the respect of our fans than to have the academicness of these situations. It's all very well, all very nice, and sure we wouldn't turn it down, but we're not going to go milking, looking, for it. We're just going to see what happens. One can't go around with a grudge on his shoulders.

CW: You've been able to play and record with your sons, Virgil and Dylan. What's it like, as a father, to watch them develop their own tastes and abilities?

SH: Well, no different than if they aren't in music than if they are in music. My daughters, who are both very musical, both said to me "Look Dad, we're not going to go into the music business. Can you accept that?" I said totally! I'm equally enthusiastic about what my daunters do as I am what my sons do. Of course, I know my sons are in for a pretty tough time. In this business unless you get that luck, that opening, that lucky draw somewhere down the line, you're going to have a pretty tough time. Certainly, with Dylan going into jazz, he knows that's not the big bucks at the end of the rainbow, but it's about doing something you absolutely love. I love seeing [both of them] playing music, but I also love seeing my daughters get where they're going. They're all major inspirations. My sons at first, I thought this was great, but what really sidewinded me, got me by surprise, was when we had daughters, and how different that felt. I meet a lot of dads who say "I've got three sons" or "I've got three daughters", but having a balance of them shows you a very wide picture of life, because your daughters take after your wife, and the sons take after you. It's been a blessing that I like very much.

CW: You've said you were influenced early on by Les Paul, Barney Kessel, Chet Atkins and Tennessee Ernie Ford. Do you find that after 40+ years, you're still influenced by others?

SH: Oh, yeah…the whole time has been an influence. There's been no time when I just singled off the people I started with and said "that's it." But I didn't know if you would ask me the question "Do I still enjoy those people?" And I would say it's increased my enjoyment for people like Wes Montgomery and Chet Atkins. Those two in particular. I find it's a bottomless well. I keep keep plowing into Chet records, keep plowing into Wes records. And here I am in Chicago, and haven't mentioned Kenny Burrell, one of our living geniuses of jazz guitar. So both things happened…the depth of my enjoyment and research into guitarists like Les Paul, Jimmy Bryant, Chet Atkins, Mel Travis, and then the jazz players like Kenny Burrell and Wes Montgomery, and the classical artists…there's a new guy named Flavio Sala; he's a brilliant young guitarist. He [Flavio] came on the scene, and I heard him, and I was riveted, like I was when I first heard Albert Lee. There's a wealth of talent to enjoy, and I'm constantly looking for that next guy to enjoy. Fortunately, that keeps happening, and I find guitarists that really, really blow me away. I didn't know that would be the case, but it is; I've got a constant enjoyment for great guitarists.

CW: Do you have a proudest moment in music?

SH: There's two ways of looking at that. The first time we had the high chart position in England was great, then high chart position in America, and that was great. The first time you get a gold album…that was a great moment. But I think one of the constants to appreciate is where you are. If you can have the humbleness to stop and think about where you really are and how lucky you are not to live in some place like Libya, or one of the places that have all the turmoil. There's a different type of turmoil in America and Europe. It's more personal than political. There's countries with a lot of problems and stress….like Japan has had more than it's fair share of problems. Taking stock of those moments can pull you out of that sadness really. Yeah, I could revel in some of my achievements…winning top guitarists five times was pretty heavy. Every musician needs an ego. If you say you don't have one, you're fooling yourself. Reveling in your own success is a pretty sorry excuse for a life for an entertainer. My approach is that music is something beautiful, and I've been given a gift that enables me to make it beautiful. Otherwise, it could be kind of trashy.

CW: Do you have any special memories about Louisville?

SH: That's a tough one. Towns, even in England…if someone asked me "What's so special about Manchester?", I couldn't tell them! What it's about, is when you're playing, and the sound of the audience, it does resinate, and a lot of it comes back when you're actually there. I've been in a thousand cities, and I can't remember Sydney much better than I can Osaka, but when I get there, it's all different. It's actually being there that makes it all work. I know there's a warmth, a friendliness, in areas where I've made friends, who show me what they're like, show me that they're honest and true. Occasionally, that touches you, and then you realize there's something very individual about that place, but I've got to be there for it to be on my recall. I know that will happen…I'll get there, see smiling faces, people helping people, and can say "I'm in Louisville."

JJG
Ehren-Admin

Re: Interview with Steve Howe 22. März 2011

Beitrag von JJG »

Vielen Dank soundmunich.
"We are truth made in heaven, we are glorious" (Anderson/Stolt 2016)

Saaldorf
Antworten

Zurück zu „Steve Howe“