Frank Zappa

Forumsregeln
Die Threads werden automatisch nach Namen der Interpreten (alphabetisch) sortiert. Viel Spaß!

Topic author
DocFederfeld
Keymember

Frank Zappa

Beitrag von DocFederfeld »

Ich als Bisher-Fast-Gar-Nichts-Kenner eröffne jetzt mal einen Frank Zappa-Thread.

Ich habe in den letzten Wochen ein paar Aufnahmen bei Dime heruntergeladen und auch die DVD "The Torture Never Stops" gekauft und angesehen und ich möchte einfach wissen: Was ist denn daran toll :?:

Ich bin mir selbst noch nicht ganz sicher, ob ich das jetzt wahnsinnig genial finden soll, was ich gehört habe, oder ob Zappa nicht eher der meistüberschätzte Musiker aller Zeiten ist. Derzeit tendiere ich zu letzterem.

Die Instrumentalpassagen gefallen mir überwiegend, aber ich fühle mich dabei sehr stark an Phish erinnert, die das tausend Mal besser spielen :!: Die Texte sind vielleicht vor 40 Jahren provokativ gewesen, bewegen sich aber überwiegend unter der Gürtellinie und erinneren eher an den Fäkalhumor eines Kindergartenkindes.

Und überhaupt erinnert mich der Gesang leider schrecklich oft an Rap (klar war später, genau wie Phish, heisst aber nicht, das es mir plötzlich gefällt, nur weil der Meister Zappa dran beteiligt war).

Help :roll:

nixe
Keymaster

Re: Frank Zappa

Beitrag von nixe »

Letzter Beitrag der vorhergehenden Seite:

Bild
http://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/g ... gr-box-10/
Sporthalle, Cologne, Germany – April 14th, 1988

Disc 1 (73:48): Intros, The Black Page #2, Band Intro, Inca Roads, When The Lie’s So Big, Planet Of The Baritone Women, Any Kind Of Pain, Jesus Thinks You’re A Jerk, City Of Tiny Lights, A Pound For A Brown, Packard Goose Medley, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing

Disc 2 (61:50): The Torture Never Stops Medley, Disco Boy, Teenage Wind, Bamboozled By Love, Sofa, Bolero, I Am The Walrus, The Illinois Enema Bandit, The Orange County Lumber Truck Medley

Thirty-seven minutes of the Cologne show can be found on the LPs Broadway The Hard Way (Zinc Alloy UR-2 STUPID) and on Scherade Part 1 (“Barking Pumpkin” / PAX-Records Zappa 13, LP20789-6 ) and on Scherade Part 2 (“Barking Pumpkin” Records LP 20789-7).

Cologne is blessed with perhaps the best Frank Zappa audience tape ever made. The tape opens with the German audience (Dirk, Tom and Tommy) begging the secret word, with is “sheep” and all things associated with them (sodomy, mutton, shepherds, etc).

The band begin with “The Black Page” and an incredible version of “Inca Roads.” Zappa plays a beautiful, melodic solo in the middle. During “Planet Of The Baritone Women” Zappa comes up with the secret word as they start a near complete “Republican Retrospective” medley, unusual for the European tour.

“City Of Tiny Lights” segues into “A Pound For A Brown.” An old funk rhythm forms the basis for a long trumpet solo and drum solo. After hitting a majestic melody, there is a synclavier horn section jam, which meanders until but then Chad whips out one of those rapid, twisted 3/4 grooves.

Kurt delivers a great solo while the rest of the band changes styles at along with Zappa. It’s then Mike’s turn, followed by Zappa and Ed having a bit of a dialogue of synclavier notes, all lasting about fifteen minutes. “The Torture Never Stops” is amusing with many uses of the secret word. The rest of the show becomes a standard run of songs, “Orange County Medley” the exception.
Tschüß
nixe

Musik hat die Fähigkeit uns geistig, körperlich & emotional zu beeinflussen!

!!!I like Prog!!!

!!!Wenn die Sonne der Kultur niedrig steht, werfen selbst Zwerge lange Schatten!!!

nixe
Keymaster

Beitrag von nixe »

Bild
Carl-Diem-Halle, Würzburg, Germany – April 22nd, 1988

Disc 3 (78:32): Crowd/Tuning, Heavy Duty Judy, Band Intro, Ring Of Fire, Packard Goose Medley, Cosmik Debris, Who Needs The Peace Corps?, I Left My Heart In San Francisco, What’s New In Baltimore?, Inca Roads, Advance Romance, Disco Boy, Teenage Wind, Bamboozled By Love, The Torture Never Stops Medley (incl. Inca Roads), I Ain’t Got No Heart

Disc 4 (65:10): Love Of My Life, City Of Tiny Lights, A Pound For A Brown, Stairway To Heaven, Encore Break, Ring Of Fire II, Bolero, Encore Break #2, Bobby Brown, Joe’s Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Encore Break #3, Ring Of Fire III, I Am The Walrus, The Illinois Enema Bandit

Würzburg is the best show in this collection and is perhaps the best Zappa show in 1988. The official release The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life has much of this show including part of “Heavy Duty Judy,” “Ring Of Fire,” “Cosmik Debris,” most of “Who Needs The Peace Corps?,”I Left My Heart In San Francisco,” the saxophone solo and ending of “Inca Roads,” part of “The Torture Never Stops Part One.”

The same three Germans from Cologne Dirk, Tom and Tommy beg for a secret word and get one. Zappa gives a long introduction, saying: Hello! Boy, got y’all JAMMED in here, don’t dey? What’s that say?

“Okay . . . Alright, guys, you’re looking for another secret word? The secret word for tonight is RING OF FIRE! Let me try ‘n explain this to you, folks: This afternoon at the hotel I was introduced for the first time to Johnny Cash, and Johnny was going to come to the concert tonight, and he was going to sing with us.

“Unfortunately his wife got sick so he can’t come tonight, BUT . . . this afternoon we actually learned how to play a reggae version of ‘Ring Of Fire,’ and we’ve been trying to decide whether or not we oughta play it even if Johnny’s not gonna sing it. Now, maybe you can help us decide. How many people would like to hear ‘Ring Of Fire’ if Johnny is not going to sing it? How many people DON’T want to hear ‘Ring Of Fire?’ I think most people want to hear ‘Ring Of Fire.’ Okay, here it comes, folks . . .”

The secret word, and reoccurring musical motif, is the reggae arrangement of Johnny Cash’s “Ring Of Fire.” Midway through the show, Ike remembers all the fun he had in the ’84 tour, when Secret Words ran rampant and nothing was sacred. He thus play games such as in “Bamboozled By Love” singing silly lines like “You know I ring her nice and kind, the way no other fire can”, and “I caught her ringing off some other man.”

Frank adds to the fun, singing his lines in a horrible yet hilarious Johnny Cash voice and by the time “Ain’t Got No Heart” rolls around, everyone is doing it.

“Stairway to Heaven” becomes “Stairway to Fire” and the three instrumental tunes of the evening, “Pound,” “Bonanza,” and “Bolero” are riddled with “Ring Of Fire” references. Frank is having such a good time that he even takes requests, playing “Bobby Brown” in response to an audience chant, throwing in the line “Tell Rosalyn she can kiss my heinie.”

And to top it all off, the band plays “Ring of Fire” two more times (with a mariachi verse thrown in), because as Frank says, “that is the sickest thing we could do.”

There are solid improvisations and performances in addition to these with such stand outs like “Inca Roads”, “Bamboozled By Love”, “The Torture Never Stops”, and especially “Advance Romance.” But Würzburg is really good for the humor, loosening up the band dramatically and driving the band into interesting musical directions.
Tschüß
nixe

!!!I like Prog!!!

!!!Wenn die Sonne der Kultur niedrig steht, werfen selbst Zwerge lange Schatten!!!

nixe
Keymaster

Beitrag von nixe »

Bild
Rudi-Sedlmayer-Halle, München, Germany – May 9, 1988

Disc 5 (53:30): Opening/Stinkfoot (incl. Band Intro), What’s New In Baltimore?, Heavy Duty Judy, Find Her Finer, Big Swifty (incl. Lohengrin, Carmen, 1812 Overture), Trouble Every Day, Penguin In Bondage, Hot Plate Heaven At The Green Hotel, Who Needs The Peace Corps?, Zomby Woof

Disc 6 (73:34): King Kong, Mr. Green Genes, Florentine Pogen, Andy, Inca Roads, Cruising For Burgers, Rhymin’ Man, Dupree’s Paradise, Let’s Move To Cleveland, Whipping Post (With Dweezil Zappa on Guitar), I Am The Walrus (incl. Jam) (With Dweezil Zappa on Guitar), Sofa

The München show yielded several songs to The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life including “Find Her Finer,” the first few seconds of “Who Needs The Peace Corps?” and part of “Zomby Woof.” But this is the first time the entire show has been pressed onto silver disc.

This is one of the most consistent and musically solid shows from the tour. The secret word is “Mudshark” and “Jazz Noise” and Zappa’s son Dweezil joins his father onstage for “I Am The Walrus” and “Whipping Post.”

“Stinkfoot” opens the show. Zappa is in high spirits and immediately states the secret word for the night “Mudshark” before p laying “What’s New In Baltimore?”

“Heavy Duty Judy” is played live for the final time, and “Find her Finer” hits a nice solid groove before going into the long improvisation of the night “Big Swifty.” The lengthy piece features long horn solos and quotes from Wagner’s Lohengrin, Bizet’s Carmen and the 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky, a synclavier jam and the second secret word of the night “Ayee.”

“More Penguin Hotel” medley follows, with Frank whipping out two better-than-average solos in “More Trouble” and “Hot Plate Heaven”. “More Trouble Every Day” is especially sweet thanks to the excellent segue into the 13 vamp. “Zomby Woof,” played for the final time, sees Zappa playing a solo similar to those played in 1982 with the distorted tone and aggressive melodies.

The encores are interesting for the unusual and rare song selections. “Rhymin’ Man” is followed by a horn-infused “Dupree’s Paradise” and is interned followed by a guitar dominated “Let’s Move To Cleveland.” After a standard “I Am the Walrus,” Dweezil and Frank play a dark guitar solo based upon the rhythm sections groove.
Tschüß
nixe

!!!I like Prog!!!

nixe
Keymaster

Beitrag von nixe »

Bild
Mozartsaal, Mannheim, Germany – May 25th, 1988

Disc 7 (67:22): The Black Page #2/Band Intro, We’re Turning Again, Alien Orifice, When The Lie’s So Big, Planet Of The Baritone Women, Any Kind Of Pain, Jesus Thinks You’re A Jerk, Dupree’s Paradise, Easy Meat, Sinister Footwear, City Of Tiny Lights

Disc 8 (69:27): A Pound For A Brown, Outside Now, Let’s Make The Water Turn Black (Orange County Medley), Harry You’re a Beast (Orange County Medley), The Orange County Lumber Truck (Orange County Medley), Oh No (Orange County Medley), Theme from Lumpy Gravy (Orange County Medley), Bamboozled By Love, Ring Of Fire (with Intro), Peaches En Regalia, Stairway To Heaven (incl. The Untouchables), I Am The Walrus (with Intro), The Illinois Enema Bandit

Mannheim was previously pressed on LP on Listen … and find out the SECRET WORD !!! which has the first half of the show, from “The Black Page #2″ to “Outside Now.” Godfather is the first time the entire show has been pressed in any form.

The set offers a great set, and the secret word “cornhole” makes its first appearance in “Any Kind Of Pain.” The following song “Jesus Thinks You’re A Jerk,” Zappa’s none-too-subtle commentary in the mid-eighties televangelist controversies, has its final live appearance.

“Dupree’s Paradise” is a masterful and features Walt’s solo from the album. It segues into the revived “Easy Meat.” Zappa’s solo wanders and is disjointed, but the horns sound glorious during the instrumental interlude. “Sinister Footwear” and “City Of Tiny Lites” follow. In the latter, Zappa rips out a great solo, raising it above the mediocre performances on this tour.

The humor is centered around the silly secret word and all manner of cornholes are found in the tunes. Someone requests “Ring Of Fire,” recalling the lunacy of the Würzburg show, and then the “cornhole” edition of “Stairway To Heaven.”

In the song’s solo “The Untouchables” pops up out of nowhere. The standard “Walrus Bandit” second encore comes next. Mannheim is another spectacular night and worthy to be included in the box set.

I Am The Clouds is a great production by Godfather. They include lengthy liner notes and a miniature reproduction of the tour program. The program itself is a fascinating time capsule, detailing Zappa’s late-eighties political concerns and his motivation to get people out to vote in the ’88 election. For a first Zappa box set, Godfather has produced a great set worth having.
Tschüß
nixe

!!!I like Prog!!!

nixe
Keymaster

Beitrag von nixe »

16 page booklet
Bild
tour program replica
Bild

https://www.discogs.com/de/Frank-Zappa- ... se/4183921
http://bootlegpedia.com/en/product/G.R._BOX_10
http://united-mutations.blogspot.de/201 ... louds.html
http://www.cdandlp.com/en/frank-zappa/i ... 116242516/
249.99 €

New or Used : original like new
Format : CD x 8 Box
Grading cover / record : M / M
Label : GodFatheRecords
Pressing : G.R. BOX 10 - eu
Quantity available : 1

Listed on 10/21/2013
Reference nº 116242516

Frank ZAPPA:I Am The Clouds-Frank Zappa Tour 88, VERY RARE! Extremely Ltd issue live 8CDs Box set on GodFatherEcords lbl, inc. 4 full Shows on 4 diff. double CDs; Sporthalle Cologne Germany 14.04.1988 & Carl-Diem-Hall Wuzburg Germany 22.04.1988 & Rudy Sedlmayer-Halle Munchen Germany 09.05.1988 & Mozartsaal Mannheim Germany 25.05.1988, all 4 double Cds in its own double card gatefold p/s & all hiused with repro Tour Programme & booklet in unique 7”x7” Box set!!(GodFatheRecords G.R. BOX 10)
Tschüß
nixe

!!!I like Prog!!!

biggenerator
Keymaster

Beitrag von biggenerator »

Frank Zappa’s Beloved Live Double Album 'Zappa In New York' Celebrated With Suite Of 40th Anniversary Releases

Zappa In New York – 40th Anniversary – 3 LP oder 5CD Boxset kommt Ende März 2019

Bild

BildBild

40 Jahre »Zappa In New York«
Frank Zappas legendäres Livealbum »Zappa In New York« feiert seinen 40. Geburtstag. Passend dazu gibt es jetzt zwei besondere 40th-Anniversary-Editionen: ein 5-CDs-Set und ein 3-LP-Set.

Das neue 5-CDs-Set kommt in limitierter Auflage in einer geprägten Blechdose (18 x 2, 5 cm), die einen New-York-City-Kanaldeckel darstellt. Die Box enthält auch ein Replikat-Ticket von einer der Shows und ein 60-seitiges Buch.

Die erste CD enthält das Originalalbum in seinem ursprünglichen Vinyl-Mix, der 2018 von Bob Ludwig neu gemastert wurde. Die anderen vier CDs umfassen mehr als drei Stunden unveröffentlichte Liveaufnahmen aus den Palladium-Shows.

Bei der Vinylversion handelt es sich um ein vollständig analoges Mastering der ursprünglichen Vinyl-Edition auf zwei LPs sowie eine Bonus-LP. Die jeweiligen Tracklistings finden Sie im Folgenden.

biggenerator
Antworten

Zurück zu „Bands/Musiker Z“